- Brutally Honest Communication...no family member should ever feel too intimidated or fearful to say what's on his or her mind. This applies equally to both young and old.
- Active Listening...not the kind where you doing something else and think that hearing equals listening. Remember, hearing is a state, a position, but listening is an acvtivity. Stop and listen, especially to the young and frail and less powerful.
- Love Unconditionally ...this type of love does not judge, it does not set pre-conditions for showing and expressing that love. This is the kind of love that supports even if the other party committed a major mistake. This is the kind of love that does not stop when the marriage stops...the love thate even extends to enemies.
- Lengthen your tolerance; shorten your anger ...the old credo still works wonders :"Count to Ten" Walk away. Bite your lips. Anger will eventually destroy your relationships and it will destroy you too.
- Avoid the "who's right; focus on the what's right" ...Whenever an argument breaks out, the inclination by many is to establish who is right and who is wrong. This is an unproductive exercise. Win-lose has never really worked for anybody. Rather focus and spend all your efforts and skills and energies on what is right. Then begin the process of putting in place what would get you there.
Friday, 09 September 2011
Five pillars for a successful family!
Look, there are really many more than just FIVE but I thought, what the heck - let me make a start. So here goes: